February 25, 2012

"Mamamama," & Other Noteworthy Occurrences

I've been trying for a long time to help Ellie learn to say "mama," only to hear her valiant attempts come out as "bababa." The tides turned on Tuesday however, and she woke up saying "mama" as clearly as could be. It's the only real word she can say and she knows it. She is awfully proud of herself, and I'm sure you can imagine that her mother is even more so.
I could swear that Ellie gets more and more adorable every day. I love seeing her personality blossom as she gets older. She is a smart girl. She waves like it's her job. She's just learning to dance whenever her toys play music. Her balance is improving every day, and I think she'll take off walking any time now. Her laugh is the best thing that's ever happened to me. Oh, I don't know what I did right to get a little girl this good. She is a gift, in every sense of the word.
I loved the newborn stage so much, and of course the other stages were fun as well, but I am loving her more and more all the time. I love holding her now and feeling like I've got this big girl in my arms- there's so much more to love!
................................................
On another note, I taught early morning seminary for JaLayne this morning. It went well. It felt good to be back in the classroom again, bossing kids around and fueling my ego a bit. ;) I rewarded myself with donuts for breakfast afterward.
As I prepared my seminary lesson on Thursday night I opened the back door to get some fresh air. I thought I saw the image of a snake on the patio about four feet away from me, so I jiggled the door open and closed to see if it would move. Nothing happened. I closed the door and knocked on it. Again, nothing happened. Finally, I turned on the lights on the back patio to try and scare it away, and saw that it indeed was a snake... a snake with a pretty little rattle on the end of its tail!
I ran into the bedroom to get BJ, and then upon BJ's command, up the stairs to get BJ's dad, Kim.
Next thing I know, Kim is walking out onto the back patio in his underwear with a garden hoe in his hand. He smacked that hoe right down onto the stupid rattlesnake's neck, and held it there. The snake's body contorted and twisted while it's ugly mouth hissed and reached for something to bite. Its rattle shook and its body flailed for quite sometime after its head was severed, and those violent fangs kept searching for something to bite into. Kim didn't quite get a clean cut with the garden hoe, so he used a kitchen knife to finish the job. Blood seeped all over the back patio.
Needless to say, I was literally awakened multiple times last night due to rattlesnake-related nightmares. I feel like I will forever remain in this fearful, jumpy state that currently possesses me.
Ugh. I LOATHE snakes- especially ones that are dangerous to me and my little family.
BJ had been getting chairs off the back patio in his bare feet literally ten minutes before this happened.

I lost my wallet yesterday, and was grateful and relieved to find it locked in a safe at the customer service counter at Trader Joe's. That would be reason #512 that I love that store.
We hosted the first "Young Married Activity" at our house for the ward tonight. We made homemade Cafe Rio salads to eat and after dinner we played the LDS version of the newlywed game, which is technically called, "Celestial Companions." Strawberry shortcake summed up the night, and now I get to bask in the glory of an event well done, lots of leftovers to eat, and some seriously beautiful flowers to decorate our apartment with. (Did you know I love arranging flowers? Cutting off stems, filling vases, and rearranging the colors, heights, and textures makes me happy.)
I'm still cookin', cause I love to do that too.
 (I know toast with jam doesn't count as "cooking," but I love this picture. Also, this jam is incredible. I love Sarabeth's (a resturaunt in New York) and I found this Sarabeth's jam at TJ Max. Jam at TJ Max? Who knew?
I'm reading a lot more than usual, which is why my blogging has taken a hit, there's only so much free time in a day, you know? I am currently enjoying reading all the tales of Beatrix Potter. Definitely not a difficult read, but beyond enjoyable. I love Beatrix Potter.
Oh, and last but not least, I got a job. I will work about 2 days a week with Ellie at my side, selling custom made furniture... essentially, like an interior designer. I met someone who has her hand in the design business, and the stars aligned. After a lot of consideration I made the decision. I start next Friday. We'll see how it goes!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I hope life is happy for you, wherever you are.

Oh, and I just remembered, Ellie and I were nearly attacked by a mob of ducks at the park on Wednesday. But I'll have to tell you about that another time. Over and out!

3 comments:

  1. I just love your blog Ellery! Your baby is so big and beautiful! I can't believe how much she has changed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new look on your blog and all your to-do-ings. you always inspire me to be better; to enjoy my children more, to freshen my home, and to appreciate my husband, and nurture my inner self.

    Thanks for keeping up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the Post! Beautiful pictures! I read Donny the snake story and he is about as terrified as you. He had a terrified and disgusted look on his face the whole time. Ellie is just the sweetest thing ever. I love her and miss her chubby cheeks! It's the best when they start saying mama. We just miss you guys so much. Love you! xoxo.......Oh and congrats on the job! We can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete