September 5, 2011

I actually wanted to have a baby boy- originally. As an elementary school teacher I had had an easier time falling in love with my boy students than I did with my girls. But my heart shifted to an unexpected place when I found out I was having a girl. My mind didn't envision bows, frills, and pink, it didn't picture a mini version of myself, or even a new little friend for me to play with. What I thought of when I found out I would deliver Ellie instead of Lorenzo, was that this little baby would be a mother. I felt pride in my womanhood, in what would now be my posterity.


Women are meant to be mothers. I love the way Sheri Dew truthfully describes this divine nature of women:
"While we tend to equate motherhood solely with maternity, in the Lord’s language, the wordmother has layers of meaning. Of all the words they could have chosen to define her role and her essence, both God the Father and Adam called Eve ‘the mother of all living’—and they did so before she ever bore a child. Motherhood is more than bearing children, though it is certainly that. It is the essence of who we are as women. It defines our very identity, our divine stature and nature, and the unique traits our Father gave us.” 
Wendi Shurtleff continues, When I realized that motherhood was part of my divine nature, not something dependent on whether I had children, I was able to focus on what I could do in my life now. Right now, with or without children, I can develop mothering characteristics, such as concern for others, sacrifice, service, compassion, the ability to teach, and the ability to be encouraging. Right now, with or without children, I can learn and progress. Right now, with or without children, I can nurture." 
I want my baby girl to be a mother. I want her to want to be a mother. Even before that time comes however, I want her to develop the characteristics of a mother that makes any woman beautiful. 
My thoughts are on this sweet friend who understands her divine nature... take a look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment