November 1, 2011

My Vanilla Almond Granola

This is the homemade granola I posted about a couple times last week. It's good. I took a recipe from allrecipes.com and tweaked it to my liking. I think now I can call it
My Vanilla Almond Granola:
6 cups oats (not quick oats)
1 cup slivered almonds (because I'm obsessed)
1/2 cup flaked coconut (I like big, thick flakes. Make sure they're unsweetened.)
1/2 cup golden flax seeds
2/3 cup almond oil (you may use vegetable if wish. or any oil for that matter. just not castor oil. or fish oil. I'll stop now.)
1/2 cup honey (I love Aunt Sue's honey. Get it if you can. Spray Pam in the measuring cup so it slips out nicely.) 
1/2 cup (scant cause there's already a lot of honey) brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 275. Combine all ingredients together in large bowl. Make sure you mix it up well till everything is equally moist. Don't stress about clumps though. Clumps are good in granola. Spread in even layer on a baking sheet. Cook for 30-60 minutes, making sure to stir every 15 minutes. If you like your granola crispy and crunchy and your almonds and coconut toasted, cook for 60 minutes. Then store it in a container that isn't airtight- or keep it in the freezer. If you like your granola a little more on the chewy side, cook for 30 minutes and do keep in an airtight container. Both ways are equally valid. It just depends on what you like, you know? I think the chewier kind can easily pass for dessert. It reminds me of an oatmeal cookie. But you decide. It's all up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment